Tanker operation process – VR app for employees
What is the educational course on unloading and loading a tanker in virtual reality?
It is understandable training on an accessible app that presents a detailed technical process using VR headsets. The advantage of virtual reality is its ability to simplify the mobile learning process for tanker drivers. This solution significantly shortens the training time while providing complete information.
Linde Gas Poland
Linde Gas Poland is one of the leading companies in the industry. As part of the global Linde concern, the company consistently pursues the mission of increasing productivity in the world by providing high-quality solutions and technologies.
Designing a simple, intuitive application for learning the tanker operation procedure for employees of Linde Gas Poland
- It was necessary to assume that the application would perform an educational function: it presented and discussed individual content in the unloading and loading of a tanker, containing a sequence of activities, and then the user’s answers to the questions asked in the examination mode.
- Designing three consecutive training modules:
1. DEMO MODE – after starting this mode, the user can thoroughly learn the tanker’s operation procedure and understand its next steps. However, it is not yet possible to participate actively in the experience. Instead, he can know the methods of action, their causes, and goals.
2. TRAINING MODE – the user actively participates in the training, consolidating the knowledge acquired while watching the process. The user’s task will be to recreate the entire procedure while still having hints and tips.
3. EXAM MODE – all the knowledge collected by the user is checked and assessed. There are no prompts; the user must recreate the entire process independently.
Every VR application starts with creating models on a mesh, then textured to resemble real objects.
The immersion offered by virtual reality helps users engage in their tasks. VR training is one of the most effective ways to teach procedures.
Create a VR training application for industrial workers
- The training guides users through the process of unloading and loading the tanker, taking into account interaction with the elements of the tanker and objects necessary for the correct industry process.
- This application includes activities such as accessing the tank, wearing the correct protective clothing, setting cones, checking if the tank is marked correctly, verifying the current pressure on the tank and the product level inside, connecting the unloading hose to the tank, unscrewing the appropriate valves, checking the temperature, checking indicators, turning on the pump and many other activities necessary to perform the task properly.
- The examination mode, which includes assessments and reports, allows the administrator/examiner to quickly verify the progress and level of knowledge of the tanker drivers. Using interactive virtual reality technology, we have built a modern training product for industrial workers – an application for free learning of practical and, above all, safe unloading and loading of a tanker.
Our 3D graphic designers and programmers, in cooperation with Linde, a company specializing in the industrial and medical gases industry, designed a thorough VR training on unloading and loading nitrogen from or to a tanker.
HTC Vive Focus 3 headset
Complete VR goggles that meet modern technological standards. They surprise with the offered comfort of use and the possibilities that we can also use for business applications, thus modernizing work techniques. The set includes controllers that improve training through more straightforward navigation in the virtual world.
The HTC VIVE Focus 3 goggles provide 5K image resolution and advanced tracking options. Their convenience, ergonomics, and comfort are evidenced by the lack of a requirement to connect them to a computer by wire. There are no base stations or sensors needed. In addition, they provide the possibility of replacing the batteries and an active cooling system.
- Success #1 | Creating a substantively adequate user path
We have designed, following our assumptions, three consecutive modules to train the tanker drivers: demo (the mode in which the player does not perform any actions but only looks at how the process is completed and receives instructions), training (the user tries to perform sequences with displayed hints) and exam (no tips in this mode, an error allows you to complete the exam, but the player does not receive a certificate). We achieved this thanks to the content of reference materials.
- Success #2 | A solution to help you learn faster
VR training, thanks to the fact that we make physical movements in space, engages muscle memory. In this way, the user better assimilates the movement patterns and, thus, the training content. In addition, the solution provides company owners with adequately educated and prepared technicians who, thanks to VR, have already had contact with the processes occurring during the tanker services.