Virtual English lessons
for university students
Various VR scenarios in support of the English conversation training with a built-in speech recognition system
University of Rzeszów
The university was established on September 2001, as a result of the merger of the Pedagogical University in Rzeszów, Rzeszów Branch of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, and the Faculty of Economics in Rzeszów of Hugo Kołłątaj Agricultural University in Krakow.
Educational application for students
- The best way to learn a foreign language is to use it as often as possible in interpersonal communication. This is a well-known fact, although most schools still choose to teach languages non-verbally, for example with exercises in writing, listening, and reading.
- The University of Rzeszów decided to find an innovative way to introduce the practice of this language to students and to make classes more engaging for all groups. The goal of this decision was simple – to use new, immersive technology to build a virtual space for effective learning.
- As a result of this decision, we were presented with full and detailed expectations that we were ready to fulfill in the design and development process of each part of the application devoted to everyday speech communication.
Our creative team of 3D designers and developers faced the challenge of developing a variety of virtual locations and interactions with characters (NPCs) and objects.
An extensive learning experience with an interactive world and realistic dialogues
- The application is divided into two separate modules: teacher space and student panel. Students can use the start window on the computer. All they have to do is start their session, the start of which is communicated by the information displayed on the screen, recommending that they put on the VR goggles and start solving specific tasks.
- By being logged in with his group at the same time, the teacher can track the progress of students, and by joining their session, he can help selected participants with problematic activities. The teacher also has access to the current view (POV) of the student’s work.
- Using their voice and virtual controller, each student can easily operate inside the app.
Gathering project assumptions
Defining user journey
Designing the gameplay
3D graphics creation
Adaptation to target devices
Users can carry out tasks by visiting three levels: university, airport, and apartment. There are communication quizzes waiting in each of them.
Meta Quest VR headset
- Success #1 | Functional innovation
By creating an accessible and fully interactive set of tasks, we have achieved the goal of building a modern VR educational application that can be successfully used during English classes at the University of Rzeszów. The combination of practical tasks with interesting stories resulted in a product that is easy to use for teachers and at the same time an attractive addition to language classes at the university.
- Success # 2 | Customer care
We performed tests of the developed software, prepared a complete user manual, and conducted training on the general use of the system, taking into account all possible interactions of the administrator, teacher, and student.
- Success #3 | Attention to sound design
In order to properly recreate the situations and circumstances, we designed each scene with sound, from the sounds of the surroundings to the sounds of interacting with objects, as well as the spoken lines of the NPC, recorded together with the voice-over.