VR training for vet students
Agricultural University of Cracow
Agricultural University of Cracow is a university that boasts a long and rich history as well as a unique educational and research profile. Its history dates back to the 18th century, when thanks to Hugo Kołłątaj the Department of Agriculture was established. Over a hundred years later, in 1890, the first Agricultural College was established at the Jagiellonian University.
Creating an easy-to-use and effective gonadectomy training app for university students
- In order to prepare veterinary students for conducting real gonadectomy surgery on a dog, the Agricultural University’s authorities decided to partner with Giant Lazer to deliver a VR app related to this area.
- Virtual reality educational simulators require a developer team to base its work on very detailed coordinates from the specialists it is cooperating with. Giant Lazer was ready to work on this complicated matter, however its team needed some time to go through the initial medical documentation that helped them shed some light on the operating technique.
Agricultural Univeristy of Cracow presented us with a script covering over 40 vital steps of a successful gonadectomy procedure. Each of them requires knowledge about dog’s anatomy and specific movements that need to be made using proffesional tools.
Designing a step-by-step veterinary training app with an exam mode
- Our VR training covers, among others, the intersection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue, as well as ligation of ovarian vessels.
- The objective presented by the Agricultural University’s authorities was to present users with two modules: training and exam mode for smooth skill development process.
- Our developers have worked on the fine rules applied to each of the virtual activities required to complete the operation. They needed to apply markers that resemble real-life surgical restrictions. Good decision allows users to proceed, the wrong ones result in displayed messages about made errors.
Gathering project assumptions
Defining user journey
3D graphics creation
Adaptation to target devices
Virtual Reality makes it easier to immerse in a given situation and focus on the tasks completely. As an educational tool, VR software is perceived as a faster and more engaging way of conducting lessons or training sessions.
Mixed reality module for immersive
educational content presentation
- The project implemented for the Agricultural University of Hugo Kołłątaj in Krakow, in addition to the VR module, also has a complementary didactic solution devoted to developing the knowledge of veterinary students.
- The university decided to invest in innovative and ground-breaking Microsoft equipment – Holo Lens 2 glasses, which are able to display 2D and 3D images in our immediate space and allow users to interact with them freely.
- Thanks to the solution chosen by the University, every student can observe detailed scripts and models in a pleasant and natural way. What’s more, one object can be seen by other users wearing the same glasses at the same time, so there is also a field for the development of virtual collaboration module.
Microsoft Holo Lens 2
- Success # 1 | Smooth gameplay and impeccable graphics optimization
PC-linked VR hardware allows developers and artists to achieve the best possible quality of visual and sound design. Our training, using a stationary computer’s graphics and processor, offers realistic experience.
- Success # 2 | Our software, your comfort
We love accessible solutions, and our clients seem to appreciate them too. VR apps can be turned on whenever you want and for as long as needed. In this case, University staff can simply run an app of their choice on a PC, and hand activated VR headsets to students who can easily start their virtual journey.
- Success # 3 | Medical VR full of detail
When it comes to veterinary and medical practice, it’s always about the detail and clear guidelines. We understand that and think primarily about the students – their experience with possibly the most authentic 3D environment.