VR applications for the economic
promotion of Lower Silesia
Marshal’s Office of the Lower Silesian Voivodeship
Lower Silesia is an attractive area from an economic perspective. As a region rich in academic, research, and technology centers, it continues to attract new investments, which naturally increases the local number of jobs and companies that host locally trained specialists. The Marshal’s Office of Lower Silesia sees this as a promotional potential, which it uses in its communication.
Modern presentation at international trade fairs
- As part of the project “Economic promotion of the Lower Silesian Voivodeship on domestic and international markets”, the Economic Promotion Department of the Marshal’s Office needed a solution that would properly present Lower Silesia at a series of international fairs.
- For promotional purposes, it was planned to create an application with 360° content for several platforms such as iOS, Android, as well as for virtual reality systems.
The advantages of Lower Silesia that are key for foreign investors include great scientific infrastructure, educated youth and qualified employees, free plots of land for investments in several economic zones, and the presence of international companies that have already invested in Lower Silesia.
Virtual experience for everyone
- We have recorded material covering the most interesting and innovative companies such as NSK, Toyota, Weber Hydraulics, CCC, Faurecia, within several economic zones (Wałbrzych Special Economic Zone, Legnica Special Economic Zone, Kamienna Góra Special Economic Zone), research centers -development (PORT – Polish Center for Technology Development, Wrocław Technology Park, Lower Silesian Park of Innovation and Science DPiN) and scientific units (Wrocław University of Technology, Medical University) in Lower Silesia.
- Complementary are additional 360 materials from tourist and landscape attractions (NFM, Centennial Hall, Wrocław Stadium, Airport, drone photos from the city center, walking areas along the Odra River, Lubachów dam, Old Mine Science and Art Center, Lądek-Zdrój Health Resort).
Gathering project assumptions
Defining user journey
Designing the gameplay
3D graphics creation
Adaptation to target devices
For filming, we used some particularly creative techniques, mounting 360 ° cameras on a working assembly line, on an overhead crane carrying bulky loads, and also in robot cages. Many scenes were also shot using a drone.
- Success # 1 | 3 VR applications and 360° material
The product includes an application with 8 VR movies, virtual walk-around research, and development units in Lower Silesia (360 ° spherical photos with the possibility of moving), and a 360° photo gallery for VR devices.
- Success # 2 | Wide availability
Each of the above applications has been prepared for the following platforms: HTC Vive, Oculus (Samsung) Gear VR, and Google Cardboard as well as for Android phones and tablets (Google Play) and iOS (App Store) as a magic box – also for use without VR goggles.
- Success # 3 | Interest during the fair
The applications were presented at international economic fairs and enjoyed great interest among visitors to CeBIT 2018 in Hannover, IFA 2018 in Berlin and CIFIT 2018 in Xiamen, China. Fair participants, attracted by the new VR technology, eagerly stood in line to experience a virtual walk.